Biohazard Mercenaries
November 20, 2019, 04:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is online but there are a lot of bugs i need to fix!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "More and more...."  (Read 4494 times)
0 Mercenaries and 1 Noob are viewing this topic.
Seitengrate
Alexia Ashford

♥ HP: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

PS3/360(REtired)

« on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »

"More and more I find myself wondering what it's all worth fighting for" - Chris Redfield, Resident Evil 5.

I've played Resident Evil 5 pretty much since it was released in March and I have played quite a lot of Mercenaries mode in that time, I sometimes wonder why I play the game so much, I have barely touched new games I have bought in the meantime and games I was looking forward to such as Alan Wake and Bioshock 2 just don't seem as appealing to me anymore.

There's just something about the mode that draws me in, I wouldn't say the game is addicting since I haven't played it for 3 weeks now and I can't say I feel any less fulfilled having not played it lol. However, I don't remember putting so much of my time into a video game, especially when it isn't an RPG.

Basically, what I'm getting at it is what is your main motivation for playing the game? Perhaps for some it is achieving world records? Simply bettering your own scores? Prove a point with lesser used characters? Create a legacy within the videogame community or for the social aspect? Helping others out?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on why they have played this game for so long without getting tired of it and what their ultimate aim in playing is.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:17:57 AM by Seitengrate » Logged
RogerRockmore
BSAA

♥ HP: 12

Turkey Turkey

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:32:49 AM »

The thing why I personally continue to play mercenaries is the fact that I really like the gameplay. RE4 totally revolutionised the gameplay so that it was very fun. I find I want to play the game more even now.

Also the variable aspect of RE5 mercenaries means that you will not get what you want in terms of score instantly. To achieve your best you must try many times(until your time is 400+ hours lol) This adds to the replay value so it takes a long time to really hit your potential.
Oromis047
BSAA

♥ HP: 120

Germany Germany

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:41:52 AM »

Good point Greg, I miss the real shock moments from resident evil back days, even 4 was in parts really survival. Re5 story is a joke and is only an action game and not survival shooter, But the mercs mode....They really got it xD. Its great, competitive and I feel like first time in game, I want to achieve a high ranking. (Ok I played CS but there you have to invest YEARS of lifetime to get well, crazy...) The partner aspects of 5 are great, too =)
Sp33dd34m0n
Eileen's
BSAA

♥ HP: 100

Germany Germany

PS3

sp33dd34m0n
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »

"More and more I find myself wondering what it's all worth fighting for" - Chris Redfield, Resident Evil 5.

I've played Resident Evil 5 pretty much since it was released in March and I have played quite a lot of Mercenaries mode in that time, I sometimes wonder why I play the game so much, I have barely touched new games I have bought in the meantime and games I was looking forward to such as Alan Wake and Bioshock 2 just don't seem as appealing to me anymore.

Same here. I was used to download and try out all new games on the day they were released. Since I play RE5 I even dont know about new games and release days. lol.

I spent so much money for this game, for example, I bought the xbox, new monitor, nVidia 3D vision and so on. I have the PC version and xbox and the last time I played on PC is some weeks ago. That shows me that the game would be pointless for me if there wouldnt be the Leaderboards.

I remember a topic in the GameSpot forum about the so-calles RE5-l33t that I red as I first startet to play mercenaries. A guy wrote about the top players and that you are a looser in their eyes if you dont have at least 600K in all stages and some other stuff (Some of you remember that there was a time where 600K was a real highscore). I wanted to become one of them...

Im not sure if I still would play if there wouldnt be this great community that binds me more to the game. Im really obsessed by this game and I know all others that spend more than one hour a day in this forum also are.

I love the way this competition is. Coz we dont fight in teams against each other.

btw: good topic . interesting to hear what other RE5-junkies think about it.

.        ___                      
     _n_n_n____i_i ________ ______________ _++++++++++++++_                                       
  *>(__Eileen__________I I______I I____________I I____Sp33dd34m0n___I                
    / ooOOOO OOOOoo   oo   oooo oo       oo ooo       ooo      ooo     ooo     ooo     
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Live-Broadcast | Youtube-Channel |    XBL GT: Sp33dd34m0n  PSN ID: Sp33dd34m0n__360 | Facebook |
JuJuJC
Osmund Saddler

♥ HP: 16

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »

Interesting topic.

I never played any of the RE games, infact i just didn't play games at all...
but the RE5 trailer sparked my interest to buy this game when it released. It's my first proper game. I dont regret this purchase, however it does eat up shed loads of time, and sucks u into the whole competitive swing.

Leaderboards wern't the reason i became competitive, it was partners who put me down about my  scores and my skills...so i started hardcoring mercs to prove them wrong. Now i play to better myself and to experiment with lesser characters.

If anything, the main reason i am still gaming is because of my supportive partners and mentors across both consoles. They fuel my motivation to continue. I'd just hate to disapoint those who offer me great advice and believe i can become a stronger player.

=)

Devil_Killer_JCS
Offical Dash Spammer
BSAA

♥ HP: 30

United States United States

PS3 & 3DS

DevilKillerJCS
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »

Personally, my major reasons to keeo playing are to obtain world records, or at least reigon records, and I enjoyed seeing myself improve constantly.

I also enjoy helping others out, though, you do have to hate the friend requests that will always come from noobs after you help them out. XD
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:40:00 AM by Devil_Killer_JCS » Logged

PSN: Devil_Killer_JCS
3DS friend code: 4596-9592-6480 (retired from Mercs 3D)
Seitengrate
Alexia Ashford

♥ HP: 4

PS3/360(REtired)

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »

I also enjoy helping others out, though, you do have to hate the friend requests that will always come from noobs after you help them out. XD

Lol, I know the feeling.
Berserker
Kev0wnage
BSAA

♥ HP: 25

PS3 & 360

BerserkerSTARS
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »

I know what you mean about ignoring upcoming releases because of RE5. I spent a good bit of last year looking up info and hyping the new Bionic Commando that was released earlier this year, but by the time it's release date rolled around I didn't even feel the need to buy it.  I actually just picked it up a few weeks ago for $19.99 and it still continues to lie here in the floor unopened.  Uncharted 2 was released a few weeks ago and I haven't even thought about buying it.  Funny thing is, the first Uncharted was practically the reason for me buying a PS3 and I was not disappointed in it at all.

I had SO much anticipation for RE5 ever since it was announced - my blog is practically dedicated to RE5 ever since I started it a few years back. I honestly never knew the game would last this long for me. Mercs is the main replay value and still continues to be.

I still play Mercs because I like the challenge in attempting to get better with an often overlooked character.  I don't feel the need to prove a point, I just enjoy rooting for an underdog character that I favor like I always do in competitive games - I constantly do this in fighting games. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can win/achieve a high score with that character.  It doesn't alway have to be a weaker character either, just a character that I enjoy playing - "Let's see, I favor machine guns over handguns and Chris has always been my favorite RE character... Ah, here we go. STARS Chris." And that's the way it started. :)

I also enjoy playing alongside friends in duo and helping others - it's fun to help another player that is actually trying.

---
My site - www.berserkersblog.blogspot.com
My youtube page - http://www.youtube.com/user/BerserkerSTARS
>> Resident Evil 5: The Mercenaries Reunion Guide - http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/980166/59792 <<

RE5 fiREd me then hiREd me again for part time employment.

RE5 said, "Back from the dead I see?  You know... scREw this old Mercs guide, I want a new one!  I want to fREelance you for the RE5t of the year.  Write me a new one.  Go now. Show the world what a dangerous drug I truly am.  Make me proud my boy!"

I said, "I shall give you a REbirth, RE5... just you wait!  I'll make them understand..."
DandyMan123
Josh Stone

♥ HP: 2

Canada Canada

PS3

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 02:11:13 PM »

Haha I agree on the upcoming releases... I bought Uncharted 2 but haven't played it much yet either, and I did like the first one a lot.

Unlike many here I haven't been playing Mercs since March, only in recent months and for me the motivation now is to reach certain goals with scores and my own personal playing ability.

I also enjoy the coop aspect, and working with/helping someone else. And at the end of the day, it's still a fun mode to play, just going around killing stuff even if you're not on a high-score run.

PSN: DandyMan123
Jaz_B
BSAA

♥ HP: 19

PS3

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »

i thought my mercenaries play time was vastly gonna drop after tekken 6, but it hasnt.
i will stay play mercs for a while, probably abit less now because im hooked on modern warfare 2, wont be retiring from mercs for a long time :D

*qweedow crew*
BigK
BATS
Rebecca Chambers

♥ HP: 19

Germany Germany

TheJohnnyBigK
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »

The first time I played RE5 was a short time after release
A friend of mine owned it and the first thing I noticed were the extremely impressive graphics
I was a Wii owner at that time, I bought 360 and RE5 2 days after playing it the first time
When we played duo Mercs. earlier I used Sheva BSAA
My first solo run ever was done with Sheva Tribal and I managed 61k when I remember right
I told him
"Wait, it's just a matter of time until I get great scores"
bloodyWAVE's 600k was something out of this planet at that time for me
I bought 360 for RE5, a new TV, I have the game 3 times, ( 1 Collectors Edition )
I was playing games always with the ambition to complete it 100%
There was not that much fun left unfortunately
Sure I play with friends for fun but I play mainly games because of ambition and to provemyself
RE5 is much more than that, I've met so many nice people ( and a reason for that are my videos for sure )
Kev told me once it's the ultimate game experience and indeed it is
The main reason why I keep playing this game is to prove myself - not because of the huge competition
The second reason is because of all those people I wanna play with

After 700k PA I need to play with a BUNCH of people on PSN lol xD

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:54:46 PM by Big K » Logged
catoblepass
Carlos Oliveira

♥ HP: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

PS3

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »

i think this mercenarie thing has alot of elements witch make it good

i for instans am not looking for gameplay that takes hours and hours to reach a final score

this game has short sesions with very variable outcome witch is exactly what most ppl are looking for i dont wanna spend hours and hours to get to the end

plus the variety is big u have strong chars and weaker ones

plus then there is the ability to play togheter

most ppl wanna be desired players thats why ppl aim for a good hi score in solo to be recognized so that theyl stand apart from the mass to be special and the rescpect u give to good players u want that urself to so that makes u come back to improve

i think there is no more fun 4 u when it doesnt tickle ur senses anymore to be a desired player in this game or ur bored by all the ppl who u atrackt who u actualy didnt want to atrackt

u wanted to be known by the best but u dont want all the noobs coming in as a result of fame
God's Crow
BSAA

♥ HP: 9

Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii

NEXTGRE Nextgenresidentevil SCIENCE3
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:03:14 PM »

Well i'm a huge Resident Evil fanatic, when this game for came out in march, i've only played game for a week after the day it came out. Didn't find it as fun without any other good players to play with at that time. I ditched xbox for a few months then started up again in 9/20/09. Before getting started back with this game i was stuck on Resident evil umbrella chronicles. Resident evil 5 i didnt enjoy it at all unless i'm playing it with someone else. I was very excited about the co op play! and Duo mode mercs. After i was able to get more friends to play with "other games didnt seem so appealing to me anymore" Just something about Resident Evil 5 that makes you wanna keep playing it over, over and over again! Other than being a big fan, something else there! i really like Resident evil UC over them all but Resident Evil 5 just draws you to it somehow. Hard to explain.

I haven't been playing it as long as you guys but i get most of what you're getting at! ITS BECOME A HABIT
Like a career, job, assist, sense of accomplishment, social network. Maybe? I'm planning on Getting a PS3 for holiday and L4D2 but obviously i'll like ditch L4D2 for Resident evil 5 Ps3. Just like game so much. Not many other games are appealing to me at all either way! grown up playing RE all my life. Hope this helps out!

SouljA
Mercenaries OG
BSAA

♥ HP: 84

PS3 - PC

midniteassassin2
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »

Resident Evil 5 is okay to me, Mercenaries included. Not even that sure if I like Mercenaries, I just like being good at stuff. LoL

I loved the older RE games for their puzzles and pop out scares, there was nothing revolutionary about RE4-RE5 to me since I didn't like the change. I will not be buying RE6 if it stays like this. I may not have a choice though if there continues to be little to no RPG games released for PS3...
(The best RPG games for PS3 are PS Classics. :P )

Mercs Scores: Here
Twitch.TV Channel: Here
Youtube Channel: Here
Sitvergold
Josh Stone

♥ HP: 1

Morocco Morocco

SitverGold
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »

it was 3 or 4 months ago I saw resident evil 4 on a market for 20€ and bought but my ps2 was broken and I rent a ps2 drom a friend i played through the game like 2 times and thought WTF were is the mercs mode yeah Iam from germany and in the german there were no mercs and I was very disapointed after that on 13 march resident evil 5 was released for ps3/360 and I wanted that fucking game but I was broke. I always spended my time in watching vids of it on youtube and always that man I want that game. Then one day came I saw a xbox360 in a display window for 140€ with 20GB harddrive and I thought hmmmm I have a psp at home let me see how cheap it gonna be when I bring psp(first version) to him I bought my psp and my games to him and he said 40€!!!!!! I was like wow. I went home to bring him the money and teh store had to display window and on the other were the games I gone the other way and saw there RESIDENT EVIL 5 for 50€ and I was like fuck yeah this is great I bought both and on the next day I had a english exam and dont have to tell how it was you can think ;D after that I played throught resident evil story mode and played mercs I was a real noob and thought damn how do the motherfuckers on youtube a A rank on the motherfucking stages xD after a few days I improved my scores and joined xbox live I played sou and in stages like ma I did only a C rank(only played with Chris BSAA) and then it happends I hosted a game Pa and saw that Josh has game and we had 322k 75combo and I was like häääää why the fuck is he arrived yet we. Then I looked on the leaderboards and saw the amazing scores and I didnt how they do that then I gave the game a friend for 1 months and saw new videos on youtube on this day everything changed I saw how they melled and I wanted to do that to i played played played and now I playing more because this game is addicting frustating and a lot off fun I me nice people their how become friends and playing with them makes a lot of fun

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: